- Lifestyle & beauty blogger with an unhealthy obsession for christmas & tea -

Sunday 1 October 2017

25 things I've learnt before turning 25..



Before I even start... even at 25 you can be a little silly still. Never lose it

Oh. my. goodness. I am almost halfway to 50... we have 4 DAYS LEFT.  

Since watching Hook I'd always wished I had Peter Pan's ability to stay young.. but here we are. Now I'm not saying I've got grey hairs & knit quite yet.. but you'll find me in front of the TV with my fluffy socks & a tea regularly on a Sat eve I can't lie. I constantly get told you're still super young but if I'm completely honest I get it.. but I do feel like I've so much I really want to do before I have to adult properly & the clock is ticking. I thought it may be something for me to look back on to post 25 things I've learnt before turning a quarter of a Century old.

1. No matter how much you try & do to prevent them... wrinkles will appear. Dark circles too. I've always been quite fond of skincare & reading up on what to do to prevent the little suckers but my, I've eagles feet on the edge of my eyes with no crows in sight.

2. Getting hammered hurts more the older you get. I feel as if I've thrown myself down several flights of stairs post eve out. I'm unsure if there's any science behind it or whether I just don't eat as many cheesy chips at 3am as I used to (I'm positive this soaks up the alcohol and makes everything better) but crikey.. as my mother says regularly "you just wont learn will you" !!. 

3. On that note... try Gin. I used to think it was a drink 40+ year old's drank as a different tipple to wine if they're trying not to look hooked on the grape but I genuinely like the stuff now. Pop a little Gin (or a lot) with Elderflower pressé & Lime in a glass and it's a dream. 

4. One day (maybe when i'm 40+) I'll appreciate being ID'd for absolutely everything. I still cringe a little inside when a queue full of people overhears "Have you got any ID" for a 15 film. I mean come onnnnn.

5. Mushrooms will forever remain the devil. Regardless of what anyone says.. don't try it 14 times until you're meant to like it, don't be accepting of them when they're "cut into small pieces in a sauce" JUST DON'T EVER TRY THEM IN THE HOPE TO LIKE THEM as I'd hate to put anyone through the torture I've tried to get through hoping I'd like them to be less awkward. They're just gross. 

6. Sun cream is worth it. Gone are the days of covering myself in baby oil & practically having 3rd degree burns from sitting in the sun all day. I'd rather be this pale colour I am now than the brightest red you ever did see. The earlier you're slathering it on the better. Nobody likes a prune in a 'kini looking like they're 70 when they've just turned 32. 

7. You're more than likely be able to count your favorite people all on both hands than when you were in college. My friendship groups got smaller when I moved to Oxfordshire way back in 2012, grew a little over the years but I can hands down say I speak to probably about 6 of my "long term" pals regularly. I have found that quality over quantity is huge.. It's so much nicer to have friends who you feel you can tell anything to, knowing it won't go any further. Of course having lots of friends is lovely, and on an eve out near my hometown I bump into so many beautiful faces I haven't caught up with in so long.. but my "best friends" I know are at the end of the phone whenever & i'm grateful for those few. 

8. IT DOES NOT MATTER what a clothes label says. Be it below 8, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and above, it is so irrelevant. If it really really bothers you, cut them out. Don't be fooled into thinking every piece of clothing will be measured to your shape or size.. If there's one thing it's taken me a while to get used to with this weight loss (will go into that another time) is no one shops sizing fits the same as the next. Some fall down & some won't go past my knees. My wardrobe has tons of sizes in it now but I really couldn't care less. If it fits then happy days!

9. There is something so magical about watching TV shows from when you were growing up, now. Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Hey Arnold, even bloody Saved by the Bell . Honestly, if you have a quiet and rainy afternoon, snuggle up and watch them. It's so weird reminiscing about certain scenes and you also realise how crap TV is these days. I could spend hours catching up on The Worst Witch or Tracy Beaker... and still find myself shouting at Justine for being mean! (Just for those my age.... you'll remember Arthur, Art Attack, Rugrats,  Brum, Bodger and Badger, Clarissa explains it all, The Wild Thornberrys, The Queens nose, Kenan and Kel, The Demon Headmaster, Bernards Watch, Rosie & Jim, Come Outside, Recess, Chucklevision!). 

10. You're never too old to need your Mam. She's the one person on this planet that when anything goes wrong, I'm unsure of something or need a little advice I ring. She'll forever be my bestest friend. I feel dreadful for all those 3am phone calls I made for her to pick me up, or the times I stormed off because I wasn't allowed what I wanted. Especially nowadays, we need to spend as much time as possible with those who brought us into this world as, as some of you may know, that can get taken away in an instant. 

11. For the love of god, LEARN TO DRIVE. As soon as 17 hits you go for it (if possible!). I waited until I was 24 through a fear of being a bag of nerves behind the wheel & I regret it deeply. I'm just about to find an instructor here as I was doing the test routes in Birmingham.. but I'm still a way off.

12. Gratitude is so important. There is so much to be thankful for & so much we all have to offer. Life isn't and shouldn't be all doom and gloom. The recognition of how wide the world is and how many faces you've yet to meet... it's mind blowing. Being thankful for life is so powerful in itself and has seemed to open so many doors for me, quite literally. 

13. You'll always have a place you'd call "home", be it the house you grew up in or the town your childhood home is situated but you'll find that you feel like you've left a little piece of your heart in every place you've been to. I've lived in Shropshire, Oxfordshire, West Midlands and now Berkshire.. and although our house in Shropshire will always be "home", there are pros and cons to everywhere I've lived & I feel so lucky to have experienced them. 

14. Accept compliments. As awkward as it is, just say "thank you" and be done with it if you like. It's secretly nice to receive them but on that note.. give them too. You may just make someone's day. 

15. It's OK to not know what direction your life is going in. I have no f*cking clue. And I mean it. Not a sausage. I can't decide what career I want let alone where. I struggle deciding between tea or coffee first thing. As I once read "I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure". I know that eventually I'll find my calling but I'm kinda just hoping something pops up and I go with it. I also believe that we create our own luck too so we'll see. 

16. Trust your gut feeling & never ever go to sleep on an argument. Resolve things quicker than the way it happened. There's just not much time for bitterness. 

17. Don't buy all the MAC lipsticks. Even if the bloggers you follow have them & you want a drawer full that would give Tanya Burr a run for her money.... I have worn probably three of my collection in the last 6 months and have wasted so much cash on colours I think "ooo I'll wear you one day"... 'Heroine' I'm looking at you!! 

18. If you aren't happy with yourself, you'll never be happy in a relationship. Self confidence, self esteem & that positive outlook I went on a little about in my last post are SO SO important. You can't expect someone to love you if you don't love yourself. 

19. Smile at people. It's kind. Wish someone Good Morning or Good Afternoon. Don't walk by someone without looking up... It makes me feel happier smiling than it does looking at the Grey pavement. 

20. It's OK not to be OK. We all have days we're off colour, feel a bit sh*t or just don't think anything is going our way. It's normal. What the important thing is to remember is what could you do to make it that little bit better. Stay in your PJ's watching Harry Potter and drinking endless teas and scoffing pizza without a plate? DO IT. Country walk followed by a pint with a friend? DO IT. Ring your parents in floods of tears? DO IT. We're human and sometimes that little bubble bursts.. you just need a hug or a day away from social media. Just remember those who you can reach out to as they could be the ones giving you a call in a few weeks feeling exactly the same. 

21. Your comfort zone shouldn't be the be all and end all. It's something that I've only learnt in months.. and as much as I repeat myself.. our life is just that... our. life. Just the one.. unless you believe in the afterlife and all that jazz. We don't get a second take so just make the most of every opportunity even if it scares you a little and wait for that amazing feeling of accomplishment afterwards (or potentially the sick.. sorry but I'm sure after that you'll feel great!). 

22. You are NEVER too old to believe in Father Christmas. I promise you.... the magic of it all gets me every. single. year. I drive friends and family bonkers by starting Christmas prep in September but the idea of it just makes me the happiest. It's infectious too, so any scrooges out there do feel free to get in touch as I promise an hour of me waffling on or singing to you will change your mind about the festive season! 

23. Avoid googling health related queries at all costs. My life.... I'd be a gonner if I took anything it said literally or it could become true. It's so easy to post "Sore..." into google & be told you have a few hours before you pop your clogs. I'm a slight hypochondriac too so you can imagine the fun I have when I google anything, it's a laugh a minute (for anyone watching). 

24. Money really isn't everything. I'm absolutely pants at saving and would spend like no tomorrow on pointless stuff I'd "think" I needed. It's a lesson learnt but it's about learning the bigger picture. Being materialistic isn't attractive. 

25. Always choose happy. If you aren't.. change it. Life is too short to be anything but. 


Just to put this out there... If there is one thing I wish to happen more as I enter year 25 it's travelling.  Seeing the world, absorbing cultures & meeting new people. I can't wait.

... And that's it! I'm sure some of you can relate to my 25, but do let me know below what you've learnt as you've grown up as I find it fascinating! 



X


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig