- Lifestyle & beauty blogger with an unhealthy obsession for christmas & tea -

Friday 17 November 2017

Where's Mollie Global Travellers - Our Lake District adventure, October 2017.




FRIDAY. 

Do you ever feel a sense of belonging in a place you'd not necessarily expect it? Not a single soul around you that you're familiar with, a completely new area to explore and new memories waiting to be made?

I remember following Mollie Bylett on Instagram in June. I loved looking through her posts, featuring all the different places she'd experienced, with fun, freedom and happiness muddled in too. Seeing she'd created a group for like minded people, who wanted the opportunity to explore new places as a group, I was so excited to see whether I'd be able to hop on for the ride too. I missed out on her first group adventure to Snowdonia, but I was for sure not missing the chance to go to the Lake District on her second WMGT one.

I remember the day the tickets were released. I was literally standing on a platform waiting to get onto a train when I had to stand in the aisle typing quickly to ensure I'd be able to make the trip. I was SO happy when I got the email to say I'd be in the 60 going... and from then the whirlwind of planning, chatting & getting super excited commenced.

Anyone that knows me knows I'm not exactly the outdoorsy type. I've not traveled in the sense of packing a bag and going for it, bar a few holidays and short breaks, so I hadn't a clue what to expect for a weekend in the Lake District. Once I received our itinerary, my blood pressure must've hit the roof. KAYAKING? PADDLE BOARDING? HIKING? Well.. if nothing else, Mountain Warehouse made a killing off me from the start. I remember talking to a few people off the Facebook event page and on Instagram about the trip.. checking I had what I thought I'd need, ensuring I wouldn't rock up unprepared. One thing I did think I'd be okay at (because I never stop talking) was joining 5 other people to take over the WMGT Instagram page for the weekend. It was super fun to have free reign and try & capture random moments from the weekend that we could all look at and laugh about. After assuming I'd pretty much nailed the packing list, next was finding a way up there.




We'd quickly established that some of us would need lifts up to the Lake District if we weren't travelling by train or plane.. (Not even kidding, one lovely lady FLEW IN FROM AMERICA to make the weekend!). I began chatting to Nicole, a super sweet gal who was willing to take 4 of us with her up to the Lakes. The group had a little carpool post on our WMGT facebook page where people could offer lifts/request one.. from there we then found Bobby (I called him Billy the entire weekend and have no idea why), Hannah & Ella (two best friends) who also weren't driving. Luckily we all just about fit into Nicole's car with the boot completely full & no room to swing a cat!

The 5 of us had a facebook private message which we talked about the POA and what we were expecting from the weekend. I am so so glad we had the chance to get to know each other before meeting everyone else. It made it so exciting finding out what everyone thought the trip would be like.. and also how quickly they got to realize that I have a minimal filter, and come out with the stupidest of things without thinking.  It was so so much fun chatting away for around 5 hrs on the journey up there, with a pit stop at services & all the coffee to keep me awake from my 5.45am start. We'd also made a spotify playlist and the amount of times someone said "Who put this one on there"....... that'd be me (totally cannot help the fact I like the most bizarre mix of music).  

Once we arrived to The Lakes, we checked into our home for the weekend - YHA Ambleside. Having not stayed in a hostel since a child... I thought it was bloody brilliant. The staff were super friendly, everything was clean & the bar suitably priced (priorities). We had a few meals here & both breakfast and lunch on both days were lovely... and the view from our window was epic too... literally Windermere on our doorstep.





So on Friday eve, we had a little "get to know each other" few hours in a private room at the hostel. I was a little apprehensive having never met any of the people that went before (all 59 of them!), but realized that unless I push myself into just talking to them I'd never of had such a fun experience. There were so so many lovely people who went - from all over the world! Even if some had been travelling for years, some had never been anywhere before and it was so fun to talk about experiences and what brought us to attending the WMGT event. I have definitely made friends with people that I think i'll meet again.




SATURDAY.

Saturday was SO much fun. We knew our activities were paddle boarding and kayaking but didn't know we'd be in groups on the boards or pairs in the kayaks. We split into two teams - one team to kayak over to a little island on the lake whilst the other paddle boarded and then switched on the way back. I teamed up with Nicole for the kayaking which was hilarious - I got sidetracked half the time at the beauty around the lake and many a time was told I'm paddling on the wrong side!
We took off after putting on all the gear with no idea (maybe that was just me..It wasn't too cold as we'd borrowed wet suits if we didn't pack our own although how some braved it without is beyond). The paddle boarders took a while to get out of the area full of boats so we went around little islands a few times as we waited for them. Once we'd all safely made it over to the island we had the cutest little fire going, with a pan of water for tea & coffee bubbling away (eventually... bloody wind!) and Mollie had also supplied us with marshmallows and biscuits! We had music on and literally just sat around the fire chatting as we thawed. It was a super cute way to get to know each other again & eat any snacks we'd packed.

I found the fire mesmerizing (the smoke in my eyes not so much). 



As eager as you like... I just wanted to get in the water! (LC)


Marshmallows & Tea with the most chilled bunch of people! (LC)

I think we look like a girl group in this! Molly (front left) looks like our tribe leader! Haha! (LC)


So after our little paddle board back & changing out of soggy wet suits.. We all headed back to the hostel to shower & change properly. After an hour or two we met downstairs in the "dining" area of our hostel for tea & cake. Mollie had brought the most gorrrrgeous cake that unfortunately I didn't get a snap of... But Lydia, Mollies friend & our 'official photographer' of the weekend got a couple. She managed to capture such gorgeous memories of the weekend, and any photos she's taken that I've used, I've added a LC (Lydia Collins) next to them. Find her on Instagram (lydiaxcollins).. she takes beauutiful photos. Sam Davies (davies_sam) captured videos of our adventure weekend and has produced a small film which we're eagerly waiting to see! Although our weekend was about disconnecting, it's awesome to have various parts of our weekend captured.

 
After a long day in the lake this was SO needed! (LC) 

So Mollie had suggested a little trip to a town called Grasmere on Saturday afternoon for a quick mooch, about a 15 min drive from Ambleside. It's world famous for it's Gingerbread shop... and I'm not one to turn that down. Molly (front left) offered to drive Ella & I so we were all super keen to see another little part of this beautiful part of the country.



I must admit... It was delicious but not as strong as I thought It'd taste. The shop was the cutest little place adorned with everything gingerbread themed, as as someone who buys gingerbread lattes religiously at this time of year, I loved it! 
A cute little wishing well in Grasmere.. I remember someone saying "I haven't a penny but a 10p.. can I make 10 wishes?!" ...! 

The colours were mesmerizing.. I would so bottle up Autumn if I could. 

Some of us girlies on the trip found a lovely little spot for a photograph in Grasmere. We spent a little time wandering around the small little village & in a garden-centre style shop... I bought a few little cards to frame & obviously a fridge magnet for my mum... (I may be 25 but it's absolute family tradition). 

SUNDAY

Starting my day off with Breakfast by the lake - perrrrrfect. 



We knew from the itinerary that Sunday would entail a lot of hiking. I bloody love a good walk, but there's a difference from home being relatively flat to here, where to see anything (If you're lucky enough!) you have to get pretty high up to really see the scenery. I stupidly decided to wear 3/4 leggings so spent the first part of the hike bloody freezing.. but my 3 layers on top kept the wind from legit turning me into an icicle. Our path lead us up to beautiful views of Ullswater Lake, the second longest one in the LD. We almost got blown away when we stopped at the point of our hike where we could take the easier path, or the more difficult. Which did we go for? The latter of course. It was bloody hard going at points, especially with the rain, slippy mud, big steep steps and most of the views being hidden beneath clouds and fog. I didn't fall over once  (how though is beyoooond me) but felt like my legs were going to give way down super slippery paths right along the edge of the mountains. All that being said, it was seriously amazing to see the Lake District from a different perspective. I would happily do that whole hike again... maybe in the summer though! :)  

Our little group! 
The whole group around halfway... ish!


viewsssss. 

 Our walk back alongside this beauty. 
 The cutest little sheep were in fields along our path... they looked like teddy bears!


 


After what seemed like forever, we eventually got back to flat land & headed over to meet everyone in a little coffee shop to say our goodbyes. The hike took longer than anticipated meaning I'd most definitely have missed my evening train back to Reading - cue Nicole & I hijacking Bobbies hotel room in Bristol for the eve after the looong drive back. The poor love was having to sleep in a single bed after booking a double.. but was super lovely about it haha. We then ate breakfast together (alll the nutella) on the Monday AM before heading in different directions home.

To summarize - Where's Mollies Global Travellers group pushed my out of my comfort zone & gave me the opportunity to experience more in a weekend than I have for months. After a properly rubbish time over May-Sept it was something to look forward to that wasn't mundane. I've made friends in people I'd have never crossed paths with before & genuinely can't wait to plan our own little adventures in the next few months... Starting with Winter Wonderland in London! 

 I honestly cannot wait for the next event... to see familiar faces, make new pals & explore another part of the world with an awesome group of people. Here's to the next WMGT adventure! 

Jay X































SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig